Poros Arts Festival 2023
May 31st 2023
Poros Arts Festival has been held continuously on Poros island since 2014. Every summer, the island fills with art events, becoming a cultural hub for the region and the Saronic Gulf. This year, Poros Arts Festival 2023, which the Municipality of Poros has entrusted to Katheti, will be taking place from June to September, offering a broad range of cultural events at the peak of the tourist season for both the island and Greece in general.
For three months, artists from Greece and abroad will create a colorful celebration with free admission for all. The aim of the festival is to showcase the remarkable local artists, as well as renowned artists from around Greece and abroad; to introduce the new generation of Poros Island to art and culture, and to highlight the beauty of the place. Through the various events hosted in public spaces of the island, such as the seafront road, local squares, the Syggrou open theatre, and other sites of unique interest, the audience will have the opportunity to discover the hidden corners and picturesque neighborhoods of Poros. This is a unique exploration, which will travel the mind through culture. In all the events of this year’s Poros Arts Festival, money will be collected for the support of nine-year-old Valeria.
The 1st Poros Arts Festival, with the slogan “One Island, One Celebration!”, began in 2014 by the Citizens’ and Consumers’ Association, with the support of Poros Municipality. It initially relied solely on citizens volunteering, on the eagerness of organizers and artists, and on the faith of businesses and sponsors. From 2015 onwards, Poros Municipality became the organizer of the festival, supported by the Region of Attica.
In 2020 and 2021 the Municipality of Poros suspended all cultural events due to the pandemic, while in 2022, Poros Arts Festival was limited to a few, yet significant events.
In 2023, the Municipality entrusted Poros Arts Festival to Katheti. Thus, this summer, Katheti, Poros Municipality and a team of local volunteers, in a spirit of collaboration, will dynamically revive the festival tradition of our home island.
Here is the detailed festival schedule, which will be implemented in its entirety provided the cost of all events is met:
- June 17th, children’s puppet theater “Γοργόνα, γοργονίτσα” (Mermaid, Little Mermaid), Prassein Aloga, Events space of Poros High School
- June 24th, theater performance of the two one-act plays by I. Kampanellis “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” and “Ο Πανηγυρικός” (The Panegyric), Dimitris Fragkioglou, along with the choral ensemble of Katheti in the musical play “Παραμύθι χωρίς όνομα” (Fairytale Without a Name). A tribute to Iakovos Kampanellis for the 2022 Literary Year of Iakovos Kambanellis, Syggrou open theater
- June 27th-30th, Documentary and Short Film Festival, Cine Diana
- July 9th, “In memory of Michalis Hatziperos“, a tribute to Michalis Ηatziperos and the refugees from Vourla of Asia Minor that came to Poros, Syggrou open theater
- July 11th-13th, Street Art Festival, central seafront road
- July 14th, concert by Matthaios Giannoulis, Iroon Square
- July 15th, “Θέλω να σου κρατάω το χέρι” (I Want to Hold Your Hand) theatrical play, Tasos Iordanidis, Thaleia Matika, Syggrou open theatre
- July 18th, bubble parade & performing “Cloud-cuckoo-land”, La Petite Marguerite, central seafront road
- July 22nd-30th, photo exhibition “Under the starry sky” by Vaggelis Kaikas, behind the City Hall
- August 2nd, “Full Moon Beach Party” and Latin and zumba dance lessons by the Poros Nautical Club dance school, Kanali beach
- August 4th, folk dances by the Cultural Association of Galatas “Friends of Tradition” and the Poros Nautical Club dance school, Syggrou open theater
- August 5th, local books presentation for the period 2020-2023. curated by Hatzopouleios Municipal Library, organized by Yiannis Maniatis, Syggrou open theater
- August 13th, classical music happening with Sofia Zarani, from the rock of Poros Clock Tower
- August 19th, “Piano Concert for Valeria” with Achilleas Wastor and the participation of Elisavet Mantopoulou, Syggrou open theatre
- August 26th, “World Music” concert with Dimos Koumaridis, Andreas Boutsikakis and Evdokia Rapti, Agios Georgios
- September 1st-10th, mixed media exhibition “Transformations“. Participants: Giorgos Gelis (painting, hagiography), Athanasia Tsoukala (ceramic), Eleni Paidiaditaki (photo), Pavlou Nikos (photo). Katheti, Pounta
Media Sponsor, ERT
In all the events of this year’s Poros Arts Festival, money will be collected for the support of nine-year-old Valeria. Support Valeria and her family
In the past, Katheti has organized photography and painting exhibitions, theatre workshops and seminars, painting workshops, theatrical performances, book presentations, and events for children. Some of the activities of the last years are those that we achieved in 2021 and 2022, giving us the experience and impetus to continue even more dynamically this year.