In the way of Constantin Xenakis
In June, the Ephorate of Antiquities of Piraeus and Islands organized the visual arts workshop “In the way of Constantin Xenakis”, at the Archaeological Museum of Poros.
Since 2013, the Ephorate of Antiquities of Piraeus and Islands has been organizing communicative actions and educational programs for the students of Poros and Troizinia-Methana. Every October, the educational programs are addressed to students of Secondary Education and every May, to kindergartners and students of Primary Schools. The art workshop “In the way of… (artist’s name)” is part of the program “Vacation at the Museum”. The archaeologist Evi Pini, whose interview can be found here, is involved in museum education and is in charge of this visual arts workshop.
With the occasion of the steady collaboration of the Ephorate with the gallery CITRONNE-Poros, which co-organizes and co-curates the periodic exhibition of a contemporary artist, the visual arts workshop each year presents a different artist to the young public. Specifically, the visual arts workshop “In the way of… “ aims to introduce each artist to the young public in an experiential, pleasant and creative way. Children are invited to observe the artwork, to discuss the particular visual language of the artist, and finally, to be inspired and create their own work, in the way of the artist.
This year, at the Archaeological Museum of Poros are presented works by Constantin Xenakis -collages, maps and books-objects- under the general title “Greece and writing codes”. The children were introduced to Constantin Xenakis, observed his work and created their own, inspired by what they saw and learned. A very interesting interaction between Constantin Xenakis’s work and the children, who exhibited their own work in the courtyard of the Poros Archaeological Museum.
So far, the following workshops have been implemented:
- 2015, “In the way of Kostas Papanikolaou”, at the exhibition “So much I gazed”
- 2016, “In the way of Demosthenis Kokkinidis”, at the exhibition “From Odyssey”
- 2017, “Thirteen and one Owls at the Museum”, at Aphrodite Liti’s exhibition “Owls”
- 2018, “In the way of Kostas Paniaras”, at the exhibition “The ambivalence of memory”
- 2019, “In the way of Jannis Psychopedis”, at the exhibition “The Alphabet – Archaic Palimpsest”
- 2020, “In the way of Constantin Xenakis”, at the exhibition “Greece – Writing Codes”
At the end of each workshop, the children exhibit their work in the garden of the museum.