Resources about industrial fish farming
July 29th, 2023
Knowledge is power! With this in mind, Katheti, in collaboration with the Rauch Foundation, has created an innovative information tool, as part of the awareness-raising campaign on industrial-scale fish farming, with starting point the plan to create a POAY* at Poros island. The tab “Fish Farm Information“, at Katheti’s website menu, brings together data, research, videos, articles, and cases of other regions in Greece and abroad that face a similar problem to Poros with regard to industrial fish farming.
The aim is to inform the local and international community and to help them understand what industrial fish farming is all about: What its harmful effects on health and the environment are; what the devastating effects on the local economy of the areas where they are developed are; finally, but very importantly for our region, what the plan to expand them on an industrial scale entails specifically for Poros. There are sources from all over the world in two languages, Greek and English, some in both languages.
In particular, in the link “Fish Farm Information” you will find:
– Electronic sources of information on POAYs, such as a complete list of the planned POAYs in Greece, the specific land use plan for POAYs, media reports, etc.
– Websites about Poros, its sites and culture.
– Information on the Poros POAY, such as the relevant website of the Municipality, the signature collection petition, the studies of the fish farm company, etc. Of particular interest are underwater takes of the healthy seabed elsewhere on the island and of the dead one near the existing, small fish farms!
– Information about Avramar, the company that owns almost all the fish farms in Greece, and plans to develop the Poros POAY.
– Information about the problems that fish farming is causing at an international level.
– Articles on fish farming by Katheti, in Greek and English.
– Case studies around Greece and the world from communities facing similar problems to Poros, including subtitled documentaries. Among them, cases are highlighted where communities have succeeded in achieving their goal, as we hope will happen with Poros!
Katheti calls for the immediate removal of the fish farms from the small, beautiful, popular touristic island of Poros. We ask the government stop the expansion of fish farms and re-examine the incomplete and overly aggressive plans of the POAY.
How you can help:
- Share our research and messages on your social media and with family and friends
- Sign the petition to remove Poros from the POAY plans
- Demand information and action from your political leaders – in and outside of Greece. This crisis is shared by communities across Europe and the world.
**Established in 2011, the Π.Ο.Α.Υ (P.O.A.Y.) is a Greek acronym for “Περιοχή Οργανωμένης Ανάπτυξης Υδατοκαλλιεργειών” or in English, “Areas of Organized Development of Aquaculture Activities”. The POAY expands the areas of allowed aquaculture by 25x across Greece, giving massive swaths of the country’s coastline to the control of private, mostly foreign, companies. More details can be found here.